State Fair Cream Puffs
- 1/2 Cup Prairie Farms milk
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup Prairie Farms unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Prairie Farms milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Cups Prairie Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Additional powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine milk, water, butter, salt, and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat, bring to boil. Add flour and stir in completely. Stir an additional 30 seconds over medium heat to release excess moisture and form a smooth ball. A film should form on the bottom of your pan. Remove from heat and transfer dough to a large bowl. Let cool slightly, 3-5 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or a mixer, add 1 egg at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Continue mixing until dough is smooth and shiny, a thick ribbon should form when pulled.
- Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a ½ inch round tip. Pipe 2 inch rounds onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each round. Make egg wash by whisking together milk and an egg in a small bowl. Brush piped rounds all over with egg wash.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Without opening oven, reduce heat to 325°F and bake 18-20 minutes longer, or until golden brown all over. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a chilled bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Transfer filling to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- Once cream puff shells are cooled, use a serrated knife to cut the top ¼ off and set aside. Pipe a generous amount of cream inside the shells and return top. Generously dust tops of cream puffs with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Let's Get Cooking!
Sign up for Prairie Farms Coupons & Newsletter