Croque Monsieur Sandwich
- 1 cup Prairie Farms whole milk
- 1/8 medium Yellow onion
- 1 whole Clove
- 1 small Bay leaf
- 4 tbsp Prairie Farms unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup All purpose Flour
- 1 pinch Nutmeg, ground
- 1 pinch White Pepper
- 2 Pinch Kosher Salt
- 6 slices Sourdough Bread
- 3 tbsp Prairie Farms Unsalted Butter softened
- 6 slices Ham
- 6 slices Gruyere Cheese
- 1 tbsp Chives minced
- Nutmeg, ground
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, bring milk to a simmer. Add onion, clove and bay leaf, then remove from heat. Cover and set aside. After 20 minutes, remove the onion, clove and bay leaf.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and whisk continuously for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the milk at a time, whisking to blend, until all is incorporated and sauce is smooth.
- Over medium heat, Bring bechamel sauce to a boil for 30 seconds, whisking in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir constantly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, with a cast iron, or preferred oven safe pan inside.
- Butter 3 slices of the sourdough bread, turn over and layer on 2 slices of ham, 1 tablespoon of bechamel sauce, then 1 slice of gruyere on each.
- Top each with remaining sourdough bread, one tablespoon of bechamel sauce, and another slice of gruyere.
- Place each sandwich in warmed pan, baking until cheese is melted and slightly browed.
- Serve sandwiches with a sprinkling of fresh chives, and dusting of nutmeg.
Let's Get Cooking!
Sign up for Prairie Farms Coupons & Newsletter