Chocolate Pudding Pie
Chocolate Pudding Pie
- 1 9-inch Par-Baked Pie Crust
- ⅔ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 tbsps Cornstarch
- ½ tsp Instant Coffee Granules optional
- 2 ¾ cups Prairie Farms Whole Milk
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 Large Egg Yolks room temperature
- 1 Large Egg room temperature
- 4 oz Semisweet Chocolate chopped
- 4 tbsps Prairie Farms Unsalted Butter cut into ½ inch pieces, chilled
- 2 tsps Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Prairie Farms Heavy Whipping Cream chilled
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Shavings garnish
- In a large bowl, add chocolate and cold butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and instant coffee. Break apart big lumps with fingers. Set aside.
- Add milk and salt to a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Heat until the mixture is steaming and starts to ripple beneath the surface, about 5 minutes.
- While milk is heating, whisk together egg yolks and the egg into the cocoa powder mixture. Stir gently to combine, then whisk vigorously until lightened in color and a ribbon forms from end, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the milk from heat. While whisking the egg mixture constantly, slowly pour about two-thirds of the hot milk mixture into the bowl to temper the eggs. Add the pot with the remaining heated milk back to burner. Whisk the warmed contents of the bowl into the pot.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until mixture thickens and holds marks of the whisk. Do not stop whisking to prevent burning.
- Remove pot from heat, then whisk for 15 more seconds. Pour contents of saucepan into large bowl with chocolate and butter. Let set about 1 minute. Whisk until mixture comes together. Whisk in Vanilla Extract.
- Add pudding to the par-baked crust and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the top has contact with surface of pudding. Chill for 4 hours, or until cold and set.
Make Whipped Cream
- When ready to serve your pie, add heavy whipping cream to a large bowl and beat using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Do not whip cream past stiff peaks, or else the cream will split.
- Add whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a metal tip. Pipe swirls all around the edge of the pie, lining the crust. Topping with chocolate shavings. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Let's Get Cooking!
Sign up for Prairie Farms Coupons & Newsletter