Servings: 36 cookies
- 1/2 cup Prairie Farms unsalted butter softened, 1 stick
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Prairie Farms sour cream 8 ounces
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp Prairie Farms milk
- 4 tsp light corn syrup
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Green or Red food coloring
- In a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer (or in an electric stand mixer), cream together the butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined; the mixture will be in little pieces.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the sour cream and baking soda. The sour cream may foam a bit - that's totally normal.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the cookie dough and mix until combined. Don't overmix - just until it is smooth and looks like sugar cookie dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured counter to about 1/4-inch thick and cut into desired shapes, using additional flour on the counter or rolling pin as needed. Place the cutout cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet a couple inches apart and bake for 9-11 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the cookies. Do not over bake. They'll be puffed up a bit and should be lightly browned (or not browned at all) on the bottoms; they'll be softer if there's no browning on the sides and top.
- Let the cookies rest a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- For the smooth icing: combine powdered sugar and milk in a bowl and stir with fork until smooth. Add corn syrup and almond extract and stir until combined.
- Divide icing into two bowls and add red and green food coloring to achieve your desired shade.
- Once cookies have been cooled dip cookies upside down into icing for a smooth finish. If you want to add additional designs use white buttercream icing with a small tipped bag. Add sprinkles while icing is still wet. Let icing set for a few minutes before putting in a cookie jar or plate. Enjoy with a glass of ice, cold milk.
Love this Recipe?Share it