- 1/2 cup Prairie Farms unsalted butter divided, 1 stick
- 1 cup Prairie Farms Half and Half
- 3 Leeks, without the green leaves cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 lb Vermont sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper and Cayenne pepper to taste
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the leeks, carrots, celery and sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir for 3 minutes, making sure to cook the flour evenly.
- Add the chicken stock slowly, whisking to evenly combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Purée the soup in a blender, food processor or with a handheld mixer. Strain into a clean saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the half and half, cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of finely chopped leeks.
Love this Recipe?Share it