Lemon Berry Trifles
Lemon Sugar Syrup
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Cups Mixed Berries, sliced Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries
- 2 Zest of Lemons
- 1 Cup Prairie Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Prairie Farms sour cream
- 1/4 Cup Lemon sugar syrup see directions below
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz Sponge Cake Ready made or see recipe below
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 Cup Prairie Farms whole milk
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Make the lemon sugar syrup: In a small pot, bring sugar, water, and lemon zest to boil over medium heat. Boil until sugar is completely dissolved and syrup thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Cool completely and remove any big pieces of lemon zest.
- Place the berries in a bowl and toss with ¼ cup of the lemon syrup; set aside.
- Make the lemon cream: Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream to stiff peaks, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sour cream, ¼ cup lemon sugar syrup, and vanilla, and whisk back to stiff peaks, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Make sponge cake (optional, can also use store bought cake): Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 8” round cake pan with butter and flour. In a mixing bowl, beat egg at high speed with electric mixer until thick and pale, 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beat until light and fluffy, 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually fold into batter. In a small sauce pan, combine milk and butter; cook over low heat until butter melts. Gradually stir milk mixture and vanilla into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick comes clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack. Crumble into 1 inch pieces.
- Assemble the trifle: In a bowl, combine the crumbled cake with ¼ cup each of the lemon syrup and the lemon cream to moisten. In four glasses, spoon a ¼ each of the cake, cream, and berries. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight, without berries on top.
Let's Get Cooking!
Sign up for Prairie Farms Coupons & Newsletter