- Gyro Meat
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tbsp Prairie Farms sour cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 slices bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Pita bread
- 1 Cucumber sliced
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 red and yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- Prairie Farms sour cream dollop
- To make Gyro Meat; In a medium bowl, combine ground lamb, Prairie Farms Sour Cream, salt, pepper and oregano leaves with your hands, mixing until all of the seasonings have been evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300˚ F. Next, place lamb mixture in the bowl of a food processor and add the onion, garlic and bacon. Blend for 1 minute until smooth.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. With moistened hands, shape the lamb mixture into a rectangle about 8” long and 5” wide. Bake until the center of the loaf reaches 155˚ F on thermometer, approximately 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Adjust the oven rack to the highest position (2 inches below broiler element) and preheat broiler. Slice the lamb meat crosswise into very thin pieces (they should be about ⅛-inch thick; no more than ¼-inch thick). Then, lay the strips on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil until edges are browned and crispy, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To serve; warm pita bread for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Top each pita with gyro meat, chopped tomato, red and yellow pepper, cucumbers, onions, Feta cheese and a generous amount of Prairie Farms Sour Cream. Enjoy!
Love this Recipe?Share it