Classic Apple Pie
- 1 package Prepared Pastry Dough
- 1/2 Cup Prairie Farms unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 8 Large Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- lemon juice
- 1 Egg White
- Prairie Farms vanilla bean ice cream
- Peel and core apples then place into a large bowl. Using a spatula, stir in few drops of lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour. Add water, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer.
- Unroll out a prepared pie shell and place into a pie pan. Crimp edges to seal. Add prepared apples to pan, then pour the butter mixture on top.
- Unroll the second prepared pie shell and place on top of pie. Crimp outer edges on dough to seal in the filling. Trim off any excess. With a knife, add 4 to 6 slits to vent steam when baking.
- In a small bowl, separate egg whites and discard yolk. Whisk whites then brush the crust lightly to coat.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 35-45 minutes until apples are soft. Use aluminum foil to cover edges if they brown too quickly.
- Remove from oven and let cool, or if serving warm, allow to rest for about 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top. Enjoy!
Let's Get Cooking!
Sign up for Prairie Farms Coupons & Newsletter